Friday, November 30, 2012

New Trans Crossmember (November 6 - 8, 2012)


In preparation for fabricating the exhaust, I decided to build a new transmission crossmember so the exhaust system could tuck up tighter.  Originally I modified the "brand K" crossmember from the previous owner's TKO 5-speed swap, but it hung too low which means the exhaust would of been too low.  I used the same basic principle, 1 1/2" x 3" c-channel.  Good thing was I had already figured appropriate driveline angle, so it was just a matter of recreating with more acute angles.  The original was used 30 degree angles.  I'm going back with 60 degrees.  





Pieces fitted and ready to weld.  "Brand K" vs. new design.







Tacked in place




Test fit





Welding it out







Making it pretty









I trimmed this edge on the front to allow the crossmember to slide in without removing the mount from the transmission or having to remove the entire shifter assembly so the transmission could go up high enough to slide the crossmember out.  








No comments:

Post a Comment