Monday, March 11, 2013

Mock-Up: Radiator Overflow (January 11 - 12, 2013)


This entry covers fabrication of the radiator overflow/recirculation system. I started with an aluminum Moroso unit. The unit receives the overflow from the radiator at the top fitting which has an internal tube that extends to the bottom of the tank which allows the radiator to pull coolant back when it cools, like an OEM system. The tank also has a petcock on the bottom for draining. What it did not have is any provision for overflow in the event the radiator might puke more than the tank's capacity. It only had a small vent hole in the top. I was concerned that this vent would make a mess if it came into play. I added a bung near the top of the  tank  for an overflow line. I also plugged the vent hole at the top of the tank.

I started by fabricating a bracket from 3/16" aluminum to mount the tank. It attaches to the two bolts that hold the radiator in place (driver's side).











I will be using AN fittings and Stainless -4 tube to connect from the radiator to the tank and for the overflow line.




Here I am drilling the tank for the bung which will be the overflow.












Finished tank in place. I may have all of this powder coated black, not sure yet.....The overflow line will run down and exit just below the frame rail. I will fabricate the lines at final assembly.



1 comment:

  1. As professional manufacturers of performance radiators and overflow tank .We have an excellent ability to design and develop our products and produce high quality products according to our customer’s requirement. jisumoto?cn
    performance Aluminum radiators and overflow tank at : http://stores.ebay.com.au/apolloracing

    ReplyDelete