Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Exhaust Fabrication, Part 1 (November 20 - December 26, 2012)


After lots and lots of thought, I decided to build my own exhaust system from 3" mandrel bent stainless. With the DSE Quadralink rear suspension, the option of any off the shelf "kit" was non-existent. I did suggest to DSE that they digitize the exhaust from their projects. They advised that they have had this under consideration but haven't gone forward. Another story for another day.... I started with a Stainless Works 3" system for a 67 with an LS engine. By the time I finished, not much of the kit was left intact, well actually none of it in it's original form except for the x-pipe! I did buy a few pieces with specific angles to supplement what I used from the kit. The rest of the bends came from dissecting the kit parts. I am going to break up the post into two parts, first from the headers to the mufflers. And the second part will be the tailpipes.

So here is the short play by play. 

Began at the headers with a V-band clamp to match the header collectors.  Note: at this point I re-fabbed the trans crossmember for more clearance.


  


Next located the x-pipe on a stand to facilitate the "connect the dots" approach.




1st bend in the front of the x-pipe





Sizing up the next piece





Used the trusty Port-a-band (still looking for a good used stationary band saw)









I used the band clamps that came with the kit to hold the sections together during mock up. Every joint except for the connections in and out of the mufflers will be welded. I am clamping the muffs in case I don't like the tone!







Looks good so far...but....






When I got back from the welding shop the right side didn't fit exactly as I had it mocked up. Kid you not, fitting between two fixed points is difficult! Did the RH head pipe over and it fit perfectly.









Discovered that 3" masking tape makes a very accurate "clamp" for mock up!







Much better  :)





There are clamps on the x-pipe here that were later removed and the joints were welded.




   

Moving on to the rear of the x-pipe

Made these brackets with studs for the muffler hangers. The hangers are from the kit.

   


Welded the hanger bracket to the body



The piece in the muffler was cut from one of the kit pieces. The piece on the rear of the x-pipe was one of the pieces I bought separately.











Removed as an assembly for welding





Front section complete. Fits like a glove and tucks up tight. Before final assembly I will brush all of the welds.


  
   


  


  




No comments:

Post a Comment