Saturday, January 26, 2013

Exhaust Fabrication, Part 2 (December 27 - 30, 2012)



Exhaust Part 2:  Tailpipes

In "kit form," the tailpipes are designed for the stock leaf spring rear set up. Since we are running the DSE Quadralink, set up modifications are necessary (ahhhh, hot rodding by definition-right?) The tailpipes are designed to kick outwards right from the mufflers. In my case the track bar mounts and coilovers are located in that path. I wanted to keep the tailpipe exit locations as designed so that means some redirecting between the muffs and the final tailpipe location.


Tailpipes as received
   

  
First cut to re-clock straight back instead of outwards.
  
           
   
   
  
Next I added a 90 degree bend to kick outboard (the pieces below sticking upwards)   
   


   




   
  
Next I fabbed up these hanger mounts. In these pics they are temporarily held in place with a small Tek screw. The final install used 2 rivet nuts inserted into the frame rails.
   

  
The hangers use a clamp as part of the assembly. You will see later that I trimmed the clamp portion down and welded them to the tailpipe for a cleaner look.
   
  
  
Trimming the tailpipe portion to the correct dimension. Again, I used my Port-a-band for all of the cuts. Then I squared the ends on the stationary disc sander. All of the joints fit nice enough that no filler rod was needed for the welds.
  
  
  
Next I added 2 smaller bends to each side to connect to the tailpipe sections.














  






  
  
Trimming the ends of the tailpipes





  
I wanted the tips to extend about 1/4" below the quarter panel pinch weld.
  


  
   
Fitting the trimmed down clamp to the tailpipe.


   
   
Nice! Don't even see the hangers.


    
  
Finished product


    

   
   
These are the left over drops from the kit and 6 pieces that I bought to supplement the kit. 
    


We kept a log and I had 66 hours in the exhaust. There are 23 separate pieces (including the x-pipe). Before the final install I will brush all of the welds. I want to thank Terry at ABT welding for his patience and welding skills. It is awesome to watch a skilled welder perform his craft. This guy welds as easily as most of us walk! I learned alot. (I can TIG but no where near good enough for this project...yes I am envious of his skills!). All in all I am really happy with the final product. It is a shame that it is on the bottom of the car! I won't be shy about telling anyone to take a peek underneath!



No comments:

Post a Comment