Saturday, June 15, 2013

Parking Brake & Shifter Boot Reinforcements (March 14 - 15, 2013)


Going back and finishing up a few fab details. On the trans tunnel I wanted to re-enforce the perimeter of the shifter opening. Everything was plenty stiff but this will add some extra support around the opening and will also be thick enough for me to tap the holes for the shifter boot.

Here is the boot (4th gen F body), a template that I made and the re-enforcement.




I shaped the piece to match the contour of the tunnel. Then I drilled holes in the tunnel to plug weld the piece in place.




View from the bottom.




Plug welds complete.






Welds ground smooth.




Finished view from the bottom. If you look close you can see the tapped holes for the shifter boot.




I did the same for the opening around the Lokar floor mounted parking brake assembly.

This is the re-enforcement plate.




Plug welding in place.




Welds ground smooth.




Bottom view.




Out board rear seat belt mounts. 

With the installation of the DSE Deep Tubs, you loose the outboard rear seat belt mounting point. Although the DSE instructions tell you how to remount the original units, I went a different route, mainly because I did not like where they were supposed to go. They ended up so close to the inboard mount that only a small kid could fit. I bought some Julianos mounts and located them just inboard of the tubs. This is a good point structurally as well as ergonomically. Just had to drill the through hole in the floor and two holes for plug welds.





Bottom view.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment