Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Defroster Vent Mount - Round 2 (July 7 - 9, 2013)


This entry is the re-design of the pan that I made earlier to mount the defroster vents. The 1st design was a pan with folded up sides, an idea borrowed from DSE project pics. It worked well, until I tried to install the Dakota VHX dash insert. The driver's side defroster vent was obstructing the top RH corner of the dash insert.

In the 2nd design, I kept the pan as a flat piece of 14 ga. steel. This raised the defroster vent about 5/16". Just enough to clear the dash insert. It mounts to the same studs on the underside of the dash as the 1st one. I then made a brace to press the center of the new pan up to the bottom of the dash top.

I welded on 10-32 studs to hold the vents and the brace in place. 
   







Cutting the openings for the vents.





One of many test fits.






I thought that I might need the brace to be removable in order to install or remove the pan. Discovered that I could do both without taking the brace off. So I remade the brace from steel and welded it in place.

   

This is the Painless Phantom Ignition control box and associated relays. These will mount to the pan with studs. This location is just above the radio when installed.



Pan and Phantom test fit.






Next I applied 3/16" thick neoprene weather stripping to the bottom of the dash. This will seal the vents so the airflow doesn't end up under the dash. It will also serve to prevent any squeaking or rattles.



Painted pan with vents ready to for final installation.




No comments:

Post a Comment